Hawaii is Love: Part Two

11:55:00 PM

POKE.

K that's all, see you next week.


I kid, I kid. Honestly I wish I could just leave it at that, and although poke deserves it's own part of this series, I will just make part two: Food.

In case you don't know me personally, food is just about my favorite thing in the entire world other than giraffes and Kobe Bryant.
Which is why I'm so thankful that Hawaii is home to some of the weirdest/most interesting/delicious food in America. Literally, I can't even.

I'll just make you a quick list:


  1. Poke- My dear love, poke. Honestly, before I moved to Hawaii I didn't like fish except salmon, canned tuna, and shrimp if it happened to be in my Alfredo. BUT, when I moved to Hawaii I vowed that my whole time here would be spent trying new things. This is why I started small with little fish dishes here and there. Then, after seeing all the girls I work with come in with these beautiful poke bowls, I decided to try it. So the texture is NOT appealing and if you are one of those people who can't do weird textures- this is not for you (I, on the other hand, am cool with anything that tastes good even if it has the texture of a wet sock). Anyways. Poke is raw fish, usually Ahi Tuna, and they put all kinds of delicious dressings and sauces (like shoyu) and can make it spicy or add avocados, really whatever they want. Then it is served in a bowl with white or brown rice. It's delicious and please PLEASE give it a try because it's my main beezy.
  2. Li Hing Mui- K yes this is not a food item, but it is essentially candy and one of my favorite things in Hawaii. It's this red powder that is actually a salty dried plum powder and it is SO GOOD. You can buy candy covered in it all over here, as well as sprinkle it on fruits for a nice salty tang. Or, obviously my favorite is a Li Hing Mui Margarita, that I literally get everywhere if they serve it because it's heaven on earth. Sorry I party I guess. 
  3. Poi Bread- This is a fun one, because this bread is literally purple. The first time I saw it I assumed maybe my bread was moldy? Or this is where Barney eats? I wasn't too sure. Either way, once I tried it I didn't care if it was checkered or looks like a rainbow because it was SO DAMN GOOD. It's soft and sweet and resembles maybe a sweet potato bread? It's hard to describe. Turns out poi bread is made out of taro which is a plant and root that Hawaiians love, and I can't blame them because taro chips and poi bread and basically anything taro or purple, just eat it. Don't ask questions, just eat it. 
  4. A Bento- This isn't a type of food, rather, a plate of food. A bento is essentially a single portion takeout or home packed meal that is most common in Japanese cuisine. So at basically any local place here you can order a bento and you get to choose your protein (ALWAYS go with the Kalua pork or pig which is a Hawaiian pig that has been cooked in an underground stove) and you get white rice, and mac salad. Yes- macaroni salad. I have no idea why but everyone here loves it which is great news because so do I. This is go to in Hawaii, you can get them at food trucks or little holes in the wall or even nicer restaurants. 
  5. Deep Fried Deviled Eggs- K well these aren't exactly Hawaiian, but they are served at my favorite restaurant here which is called Real A Gastropub (located near Ward Center, if you live in Hawaii, GO, and invite me assholes-I told you about it). These sounds disgusting, believe me I was scared to eat it too. They are deep fried and have buffalo sauce drizzled on them and they are literally the most delicious thing I have ever had in my whole life- and I don't even like eggs. (Shout out to Amanda if you read this for being the original person who had me try them.) Also, all of Real's food is delicious in general. 

Well, these are just a few of my favorite things that are weird and delicious. I'm sure another part of this series will be about food, or maybe restaurants because there are SO many good places to eat here. 

In case you couldn't tell, Hawaii is actually love. So. 

Come visit, or don't. More deep fried deviled eggs for me :) 


"People who love to eat are always the best people."- Julia Child


 
 


    You Might Also Like

    0 comments

    Like MarissAdventures